Sunday 9 April 2017

i to the power i

I'd never thought about it before until I saw the problem posed and then answered. Here is the problem: what is the value of ? Can it be evaluated? Is it a real number or a complex number? Well, it turns out that it's a real number and transcendental. One way of working out its value is to replace the  in the base with  because:


So we can replace  with  which becomes   which in turn becomes simply . This of course we can evaluate and it turns out to be approximately:

0.207879576350761908546955619834978770033877841631769608075...
It looks even stranger if we pose the problem in the form . In whatever form it's posed however, the result is the same: a transcendental, real number with the value shown above. Of course, this leads one to pose other problems such as the value of   or . Having posed the problems, I guess I'll have to now investigate them.

  is easy because it can be written as:

 
WolframAlpha will give us an answer to   (  ) but it's not entirely clear why. I'll need to investigate further. Note that my previous post on Power Towers and Tetration is relevant to this problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment