Friday 9 February 2024

108 Meets Conway's Game Of Life

Playing around with Conway's Game of Life on my iPhone, I discovered that 108 produces an interesting progression. I mentioned this number in my previous post but it's reappearing here in a quite different context. What I've been doing is creating numbers and then looking at what happens to them once Conway's algorithm is applied. See my earlier post The Game of Life from December of 2023. Figure 1 shows the pixel shape I created for 108.


Figure 1

The following video shows what happens once the algorithm is applied:


Figure 2 shows the final result.


Figure 2

So just a visually pleasing progression and not all numbers behave like this. 107 for example ends quite abruptly. Most of the shapes explored in The Game of Life are single shapes but I found these composite shapes quite interesting as the individual digits interact with one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment