Thursday 26 October 2023

A Puzzle

Figure 1 shows the problem that confronted me over the breakfast table this morning.


Figure 1

As I've said before, I dislike this format and what we should say is that we say that we have a function \(f(x)\) that maps \(x\) to \(y\):

  • \(f(1)=3\)
  • \(f(2)=3\)
  • \(f(3)=5\)
  • \(f(4)=4\)
  • \(f(5)=4\)
  • \(f(6)= \, \, ?\)
I'll make a small adjustment here so that the graph has \(x\) coordinates that correspond. It looks like this with the answer of \(f(6)=6\) added which I'll explain and Figure 1 shows the result:
  • \(f(0)=1\)
  • \(f(1)=3\)
  • \(f(2)=3\)
  • \(f(3)=5\)
  • \(f(4)=4\)
  • \(f(5)=4\)
  • \(f(6)= 6 \)

Figure 1: permalink

As can be seen from the graph the pattern repeats once \( (5, 4) \) is reached. Figure 2 is the pattern expanded.


Figure 2: permalink

What is the formula to represent the numbers as part of a recurrent series given by \( a(n) \) = ... ? Can the graph be expressed in terms of \(y=f(x) \) for some function \(f\)? These are two interesting questions that I should try to answer. Once I crack it, I'll post the information here and maybe a link to a new blog post about how I cracked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment