Wednesday 13 April 2022

Mathematica and the Raspberry Pi


Figure 1

When I first looked at the applications that are preinstalled on my recently purchased Raspberry Pi, I noticed an icon for Mathematica but assumed it was just a promotional link. I'd completely forgotten that Mathematica comes preinstalled with every Raspberry Pi. As it says on this site:

Mathematica is a computational programming tool used in science, maths, computing and engineering. It was first released in 1988. It is proprietary software that you can use for free on the Raspberry Pi and comes bundled for free with Raspbian. Mathematica is generally used for coding projects at university level and above.

Figure 1 shows a screenshot of the setup on my laptop. So far I've been using SageMath for my mathematical calculations but it will be interesting to experiment with Mathematica now that I have acquired it for free. Figure 2 shows a detail from Figure 1.


Figure 2

So far I've only taken baby steps and have learned to:

  • How to launch the Mathematica notebook and run commands
  • How to use variables
  • How to use symbolic values for irrational numbers like Pi
  • How to use lists, ranges, tables and loops
  • How to use and and search for built-in functions
  • How to save a Wolfram script and run it from the command line
  • How to perform list operations
  • How to use Matrices
  • How to plot in 3D

I'm looking forward to becoming more proficient and hopefully I can document some of my progress in future blog posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment